Butternut squash soup with almond cream
With this recipe we recommend: Croft White Port
For the soup
- 25g/1oz butter
- ½ butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, flesh chopped
- ½ onion, chopped
- 30ml/1fl oz white wine
- 300ml/½ pint hot vegetable stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the almond cream
- 60g/2½oz whole almonds
- 100ml/3½fl oz double cream
- For the soup, heat the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat, add the butternut squash and onion and fry for 3-4 minutes, or until the onion has softened.
- Add the wine and simmer for 2-3 minutes, or until the wine has almost evaporated.
- Add the hot stock and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Simmer for 6-8 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
- Blend the mixture with a stick blender until smooth.
- For the almond cream, blend the almonds and cream in a food processor until smooth.
- To serve, ladle the butternut squash soup into a bowl. Drizzle over the almond cream.
With this recipe we recommend:
Croft White Port
Rich, fragrant nose with aromas of mellow fruit and hints of honey and oak. Full body, velvety palate and long flavoursome finish.
Croft White Port is a blend of wines produced from white grapes grown mainly on the Upper slopes of the Douro Valley. The grapes used include the Arinto, Boal, Esgana Cão, Folgasão, Gouveio, Viosinho and Rabigato varieties. The individual wines are aged in oak vats for about three years, where they acquire mellowness and character. They are blended to produce a rich white port in the traditional smooth, full bodied style.
Croft White Port is bottled for immediate drinking.